KARACHI: Though the issue of 10,000 missing containers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) is yet to reach a logical conclusion, some of the important persons relating to the unique yet dangerous case are receiving life threats, it was reliably learnt here on Thursday.
Sources told this scribe that one of such person relating to the case, which also attracted attentions of the country’s apex court, has sought the government security, citing reasons of serious security threats to his life.
Hussain Islam, who is a senior official in the Karachi Port Trust (KPT), on 4th of the last month wrote a letter to Sindh home secretary for the “provision of security due threat to his life and property”, sources said.
Highly credible sources in the home department told that the official of KPT, who according to the letter is of vice chairman rank, has cited threats to his life due to his role in the famous NATO container case, which made headlines for months. He, however, did not disclose if Islam was accused or he had played any role in unveiling the corruption which made the security of the whole country in danger.
When his request for security went unattended, he again wrote a letter on 22nd August 2014 with same subject, requesting home secretary that his provision must be considered immediately due to threats, he is receiving.
Since all high rank officers are provided normal security, Islam might also be enjoying the same, told a source, adding his request for security from home department indicate at threats of bigger nature.
To get official version of KPT regarding Hussain Islam security, several attempts were made on both contact number of KPT spokesman but he did not respond.
It is pertinent to mention here that the former federal Minister for Port and Shipping from Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Babar Khan Ghauri was alleged for steeling the arms and ammunition from the NATO containers which was letter used in Karachi.
The MQM senator not only strongly rejected the allegations, leveled by DG Rangers in the apex court’s Karachi registry in a hearing of the Karachi unrest case but he was cleared of the serious charges by one-man Ramzan Bhatti commission, setup by the top court.
The Supreme Court, besides setting up the commission, had also ordered NAB to carryout investigations, which is yet to prove allegations against customs agents.