DSP among 3 killed in Karachi blasts

three-cops-killed-in-twin-blasts-in-karachi-1359045720-2006

Naimat Khan

KARACHI: At least three persons, including DSP Kamal Khan Mangan and a police investigation officer, were killed and fifteen others wounded in twin blasts in the Sherpao Colony of Landhi area, Karachi on Thursday.

DIG Aleem Jafri told media that the deceased had been identified as DSP Kamal Khan Mangan, Sub-Inspector Akbar Hussain and one civilian Fazal Muhammad.

Director Emergency JPMC Dr Seemi Jamali, while talking to The Frontier Post, first confirmed four deaths and 15 injuries as results of the blast. However, when again contacted for getting updates she said the body of fourth one, namely Saeed-ur-Rehman was brought from Pirabad area in Orangi and was mistakenly counted as one of the blasts’ deceased. She further informed that Muhammad Hanif, a head constable injured in the blast was not in a stable condition.

According to reports, the first blast took place when two unidentified terrorists riding a bike threw a hand grenade near a dump yard in Landhi. It was followed by second blast when the police and rescue teams reached the spot just 14 minutes after the first blast.

According to SP CID, Umar Khittab, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) and an investigation office of sub-inspector rank were among those killed in the blast. Police further said that two of their vehicles and two ambulances were damaged in the explosion.

According to police, the second bomb was placed in a cement block which also contained ball bearings. However the bomb disposal squad (BDS) when contacted did not substantiate the claim of police.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah strongly condemned blasts in Landhi and directed IG Sindh Police to immediately submit report about the incident.

The chief minister also issued directives to ensure strict security arrangements for Eid Milad-un-Nabi (SAW) in the entire province. Shah instructed law enforcing agencies to keep strict vigil over the activities of miscreants.

MQM chief Altaf Hussain, ANP’s Senator Shahi Syed and JI leader Muhammad Hussain Mehnti also condemned the attack in their statements.

Published on January 25, 2013

http://www.thefrontierpost.com/article/204130/

Advertisements

Author: Naimat

Karachi based journalist, writing on national and international issues.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s